An insight into the world of Hijab


        Does hijab degrade women? This is a frequently asked question by misguided non -Muslims about the true purpose of a Muslim woman wearing a head covering. ‘Why do you wear it? Do you feel forced? Why do you have to cover your head? ‘ such questions are ones that I’ve been thrown by my non-Muslim (many who are atheists and  non -believers ) friends when I lived in New Zealand. Yes, I admit I was a ‘free hair’ and did not cover my head when I went to school but I wore the scarf when there is a function or gathering with Malaysian students. Hypocritical , I know. But at that time, I was consumed by the sheer embarrassment of the idea of wearing hijab because I was the only Muslim girl at my school. I felt scared of the impending stares and judgements thrown my way, the possibility of being alone and friendless because of my appearance. I was even made fun of by my 'friends' after I posted a photo of me wearing the hijab on facebook. I shouldn't have let them get to me. I’ve been advised by my parents to be brave and cover my head but I just couldn’t muster up what little courage I had  to face my peers. So, for 3 years I went free hair with  not a single guilt as  I slowly strayed away from the right path. I felt that wearing the hijab dictates my movement, the feeling slowly and dangerously crept into my mind changing my perception that not wearing a hijab is okay. I only have to wear them when I meet Malay  families and students. Nevertheless, when I moved back to Malaysia, all praise to Allah , I was gifted with understanding and guidance by my big brother who went to an Islamic school and my grandmother who never gave up on changing my views. They never reprimanded me and used the  ‘ kalau tak tutup aurat , masuk neraka’ but they shared hadith and Quran verses that undeniably soften my heart and opened the keys to my abstinent heart. So during Hari Raya, I took the effort to buy myself a scarf and  the next thing they knew, I sported a ‘bidang  60 ‘ scarf . The drastic change definitely caused a shock to my family. As I reminisced back to my Jahiliah days, I became reflective and took time to think about the true meaning of hijab.  
         So  why do we have to cover our heads? The answer is simple. Because Allah  told us to. In chapter an- Nuur, verses 30-31, Allah says , “ say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them,  and Allah is well acquainted with what they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their  modesty , and they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must be ordinarily thereof , that they should draw their veils over their bosoms  and not display their beauty except to their husbands. “
        From the verses, I concluded that hijab reflects modesty , purity and respect. It lessens temptation so that more serious sins will be avoided. Most importantly, it protects women form the molestation and eyes of evil men. A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement that she is a  member of the Muslim community and that she follows a code of moral conduct. There is an article which expresses the symbolization of women by Dr. Henry Makow, “.. the bikinied American beauty struts practically naked in front of m illions on television. A feminist, she belongs to herself. But in fact she is the public property. She belongs to no one and everyone. In America, the culture  measure of a woman’s value is her sex appeal( as this asset depreciates quickly, she is neurotically obsessed with appearance and plagued by weight problems.” .  Another favourite article of mine by a non Muslim Chinese who decided to cover herself for one day while doing her news magazine project, she expressed  “ initially, I bought the view that wearing a scarf is oppressive. After this experience and much reflection, I arrived at the conclusion that’s such views are superficial and misguided. I covered up that day out of my choice and it was the most liberating experience of my life. I discovered that the way I dressed dictated others reaction towards me. It saddens me that this is a reality, a reality that I have accepted  to conquer rather than be conquered by it. It was my sexuality that I covered not my femininity. The covering of the former allowed the liberation of the latter.

Comments

Popular Posts