Hatono sensei

I saw a video of Japanese people listening to Quran recitations on instagram recently and a japanese uncle said that the quran gives him a feeling of tranquility and puts him in a trance as if in a state of meditation. I was so awestrucked, all this while I thought of the japanese as closed and unaccepting of foreign or religious values outside their perimeter of familiarity. But the amount of Japanese people willing to be part of the video and commenting good thoughts on listening to the quran, I was indefinitely amazed. It kind of gave me a sliver of hope that maybe one day, when I live in Japan , which will be very soon, I can have a fruitful & constructive discussion with my Japanese friends regarding religions and beliefs. 

Anyway, the main story which I want to tell here is actually about one of my favourite lecturers at MJHEP. So a few days ago, I came to class very early, like 2 hours early because I didn’t have 1st period class and I felt bored having nothing to do in my dorm room. Surprisingly, Hatono sensei was sitting at the lecturer’s table doing his work. So I just entered the classroom and greeted him a ohayou gozaimasu and sat at my stipulated seat. I decided to do some revision and finish some of my homework while listening to fath yakan’s quran recitations. I set the speaker just so that only I can hear it because I was worried that sensei might feel uncomfortable listening to it. 

Suddenly, sensei got up and told me that he has a youji (matter) to do so he went out of the classroom. I was left alone and I thought that sensei wouldn’t come back to the classroom so I turned the volume of my phone speaker up. A few minutes later sensei walked in and he was about to say something to me but he became silent for a few moment. Maybe because he heard the quran recitations. He just stood above me next to my table and looked at my phone like he’s never seen a phone before. Then he smiled at me and walked back to his table. 

So it was just the two of us, with the beautiful recitation of surah al-waqiah for a little while. 

I remember having a lively discussion with sensei regarding religions (despite not understanding some of his words haha my choukai (listening) skills are bad okay) and he said that he goes to church & reads the bible diligently. It’s a good thing at least that he has a strong belief in religion, in the existence of a divine & powerful being which kind of makes his heart more open to have talks of religions and beliefs. 

As far as I know, most japanese people nowadays are spiritual in the sense of inner self, but not religious. They believe in a ‘Higher Power’ but not in God. Confusing? I know. 

Anyway, I just hope that Hatono sensei is granted good health and mind, and so that one day maybe inshaAllah due to his kindness, Allah will grant him hidayah. He’s 69 years old this year, almost as old as my beloved opah.

Comments

Popular Posts